New observations by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have revealed the real shape of the Ring Nebula. The glowing gas shroud around an old, dying, Sun-like star is like a doughnut, scientists suggested. "The nebula is not like a bagel, but rather, it's like a jelly doughnut, because it's filled with material in the middle," said C. Robert O'Dell of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn. ...
Actress Amanda Bynes appeared disheveled in a long blond wig and sweats Friday in a New York criminal court on charges she tossed a bong out the window of her Manhattan apartment ...
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hungry? How about tempura-battered fried Tarantula for an appetizer? They're frozen then defrosted before bug chef David George Gordon cuts off the abdomen, singes off hairs with a lighter and dunks the remaining spider body into ...
Making sure you have all your ducks in a row on the morning of graduation day can help make the whole process easier. Plan ahead so that you arrive early -- with your phone fully charged, wearing comfortable shoes -- and choose a meeting spot where you'll be able to find your family later. If you go to a large public school, these things are especially important -- you don't want to ...
BOSTON (CBS) — Everybody knows there’s no use crying over spilled milk. But if you’re the Boston Bruins goaltender, there’s no use crying over bad goals. Tuukka Rask, who embarrassingly tripped in his crease Thursday night to allow the first New York goal in a game the Bruins eventually lost in overtime, knows that well. While Rask was not happy to allow that type of ...
65.1°F Partly Cloudy
The Church (La Chiesa) [DVD]
The Church (La Chiesa) was the first major film from director Michele Sovai, a protégé of Italian horror maestro Dario Argento (Suspiria, Inferno). Now best known for the independently produced art-film-cum-zombie-flick Cemetery Man (Dellamorte Dellamore, 1994), actor-turned-director Sovai proved his mettle with The Church, showing tha ... ...
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a Superman comic worth more than $100,000! David Gonzalez is celebrating after finding the "Holy Grail" of comic books stuffed inside the walls of a house he was renovating. The father-of-four put the rare edition up for auction and it has so far attracted bids of more than 10 times the value of the Minnesota house he bought for ...
Google wants to remind you that it doesn’t allow AdSense ads on content containing: nudity or pornography, sheer clothing, strategically covered nudity, sexually gratifying ';stuff,'; fetish or adult toys, adult language links or comments, or extreme profanity (these are all their words). To do so, the company has put out a new cartoon to ...
A toast to Tim Cook. Gilroy winery owner Thomas Kruse raises a glass in a photo for the winery's newsletter. Talk about seizing on current events for a little off-color company marketing. The Internet was consumed earlier this week with Apple CEO Tim Cook's appearance before a Senate committee to talk U.S. tax-dodging with overseas subsidiaries, particularly in Ireland (read more about ...
Tiara Monique Garness, 22, of High Point, N.C., was charged with indecent exposure after officers in Myrtle Beach, S.C., warned her about wearing the skimpy suit, The Sun News of Myrtle Beach ...
There are Tory heartlands and there is Shefford, a small town in the middle of Bedfordshire, in the middle of England, at the centre of one of the safest Conservative seats on the electoral map. "There's a saying around here," says a man outside Saint Michael and All Angels church (he did not want to be named). "If you painted a cockroach blue it would get elected in ...
Making the news
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
THE WESTIN, LOS ANGELES AIRPORT
This substantial hotel is easily accessed on Century Boulevarde. Driving in to the entrance area, the hotel main lobby greets ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Nashville HeraldNashville Herald | Independent News Resource for Nashville, Tn
The Nashville Herald is essentially a local Nashville newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Nashville, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Nashville, Tennessee, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Nashville Herald.
Elvis Presley's iconic white 'eagle' cape will go under the hammer next week and is expected to make 90,000 pounds.
The floor-length cloak is embellished with blue, red and gold studs to create a huge eagle across the back.
Presley wore it over his white jumpsuit, the Daily Star reported.
The cap, which is one of the most recognisable items of clothing associated with the late singer, has been copied by Elvis impersonators around the world.
Presley's 5ft cape was made in 1973 for his "Aloha From Hawaii" concert by showbiz designer Bill Belew to hide the singer from his audience at the start of the show.
Meanwhile, a white leather belt emblazoned with six eagles that formed part of his costume is also for sale and it is expected to fetch up to 40,000 pounds. (ANI)
- North Korea envoy hands over China's Xi a note of peace
- UK defends security services over Woolwich murder
- US bridge collapses sending vehicles into water
- Friend of Boston bombers had confessed to 2011 triple murders claims FBI
- Royalty Pharma takeover bid fails to find Elan ecceptance
- Foreign policy impotence gripping U.S.
- A next-generation model for MinnesotaCare
- Keep drones in the air as long as terrorists target U.S.
- Readers Write Natural disasters North Korea transit IRS bridge collapse bad drivers state politics
- Letter of the Day Zach Sobiech
- Proposal before OMERS would require employees to work longer to get full pension
- Corpus Christi couple embody Older Americans Month theme with compassion for patients
- Newbury Park financial planner pleads guilty to stealing from elderly client
- Woolwich suspect was victim of frenzied knife attack aged 16
- Banana consumption increases thanks to aging populaion
- Board approves News Corp split into two entities
- China to allow US auditors access to records of Chinese firms
- Croatia looking to oil exploration in Adriatic Sea to revive economy
- Amazon ventures into fan fiction promotion
- China central bank report promises financial sector reforms
- Diversion of flight fails to save passenger from Ireland
- Pakistani plane forced to land near London two held
- Two held over Pakistani planes mid-air alert
- Britain sends up fighters as Pakistani plane diverted
- I-5 bridge collapse will cause headaches for tourism B.C. trucking industry
- $2.6 mn necklace spirited away at Cannes Film Festival
- Menopause can affect memory
- Its sexist to ask women about age says Julianne Moore
- Narcissists woo women more easily
- Rural women imparted advanced training in handloom handicrafts in Manipur
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Nashville Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Wilson County man killed in hit-and-run
- The Addams Family wraps up Broadway at the Tennessee series News Sentinel
- THP stepping up roadway safety enforcement this weekend
- TDOT addresses bridge safety in wake of I-5 bridge collapse
- Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy DA says