BEIJING - A senior North Korean envoy delivered a letter from his leader Kim Jong-un to Chinese President Xi Jinping and told him that Pyongyang was ready to take "positive action" to re-join stalled six-nation nuclear disarmament talks. The letter was handed over by envoy, Vice Marshal Choe Ryong-hae. Choe told Xi that North Korea is willing to take positive actions to solve problems ...
Richard Chichakli, who has been tied to convicted international arms dealer Viktor Bout, has been extradited from Australia to the US. The 53 year old alleged financial muscle behind the Bout gun-running organisation had been living in Melbourne under an alias before authorities arrested him in January. Syrian-born Chichakli had managed to evade police while working as a cleaner in the ...
Ireland continues to suffer from its false implication in the high profile assassination of a militant in Dubai more than three years ago. Hamas commander Mahmoud Al Mabhouh was on a visit to the UAE on his way to China from Damascus. Twenty seven suspects were named by Dubai Police and it soon became apparent most of them were carrying passports belonging to citizens of other countries. ...
It is an event "of cosmic proportions", said one Palestinian academic, a befitting description of Stephen Hawking's decision to boycott an Israeli academic conference slated for next June. It was also a decisive moral call which was communicated by the Cambridge University, where Hawking is a professor, on May 8. Hawking is a world-renowned cosmologist and physicist. His scientific work had ...
A US court in Maricopa County, Arizona has found that high-profile sheriff Joe Arpaio violated the constitutional rights of Latino men and women in his attempt to stop illegal immigration. Judge Murray Snow ruled that Arpaio's office would have to stop using race or Latino ancestry as a factor in stopping vehicles carrying Latino occupants. Arpaio had been sued by several Hispanic drivers ...
73.6°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the SE at 1.6 MPH Gusting to 3.8 MPH
As human beings, memories are our most cherished possession. So what would happen if you couldn't trust them as your own? Isn't it your memories that show you are real, that give proof of your prior existence? Is your memory not your identity? What would happen if the past you had stored in your mind was not really yours? What if it belonged to someone else, or possibly, to no one at all? This is ... ...
At least 17 children have died in eastern Pakistan following an explosion on a school bus. Other children were also injured when a faulty gas cylinder on board the bus exploded. The incident occurred on the outskirts of the city of Gujrat, which is located about 200km southeast of the capital, Islamabad. Police have confirmed the children were on their way to school when the bus was ...
LONDON - The British government has defended its spy agencies for failing to prevent murder of a soldier in London despite signs and revelations that the two suspects were well known to MI5. Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said it was impossible to control everyone all the time. "Peers and MPs will do a thorough investigation in terms of what the security forces knew but I've seen ...
Damac Properties has begun handing over apartments in its long-awaited Oceanscape project in Abu Dhabi. Most investors bought apartments off-the-plan in 2006, paying 30% of their purchase price in the first 120 days of reserving their property. After seven years Damac has finally finished the project, one of its first and probably last Abu Dhabi ventures. Despite being four years late, ...
A court in Kiev has banned Ukraine's first gay pride event. The court ruled the march, would have attracted anti-gay activists into the centre of the city, where annual Kiev Day celebrations would also have been taking place. A group of opponents led by the Orthodox Church led the objections to the march. The Church, through its Archpriest Georgy Kovalenko, issued the grounds for ...
WASHINGTON - A handful of vehicles and some people plunged into a river after a more than half a century old bridge that links Seattle in the US with Canada collapsed, throwing the movement on the highway into disarray. Authorities said there were no deaths in the bridge collapse on the Skagit River in the US state of Washington. Three people were rescued and taken to hospitals, they ...
Making the news
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
London Marriott Park Lane
Having taken the Heathrow Express to Paddinton station (a 15 minute ride, with trains running every 15 minutes), I then ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Nashville HeraldNashville Herald | Independent News Resource for Nashville, Tn
The Nashville Herald is essentially a local Nashville newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Nashville, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Nashville, Tennessee, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Nashville Herald.
Elvis Presley's iconic white 'eagle' cape will go under the hammer next week and is expected to make 90,000 pounds.
The floor-length cloak is embellished with blue, red and gold studs to create a huge eagle across the back.
Presley wore it over his white jumpsuit, the Daily Star reported.
The cap, which is one of the most recognisable items of clothing associated with the late singer, has been copied by Elvis impersonators around the world.
Presley's 5ft cape was made in 1973 for his "Aloha From Hawaii" concert by showbiz designer Bill Belew to hide the singer from his audience at the start of the show.
Meanwhile, a white leather belt emblazoned with six eagles that formed part of his costume is also for sale and it is expected to fetch up to 40,000 pounds. (ANI)
- North Korea envoy hands over China's Xi a note of peace
- Suspected international arms dealer joins Bout in America
- Court rules against tough sheriff
- UK defends security services over Woolwich murder
- US bridge collapses sending vehicles into water
- Israel stunned by Hawking snub
- Herald Poll Boy Scouts vote to allow gay members
- Interstate 5 bridge collapse
- President Obama restricts drone use
- Words Of Wisdom For The Graduating Class Of Moore Okla.
- Heart failure ups risk of male menopause 4 fold
- Alberta seniors hospitalized after violent home invasion
- Elderly woman speaks about dog attack from hospital
- Blackstone notifies Cohens SAC it intends to pull money pension consultant
- Collapse refocuses attention on aging spans
- Board approves News Corp split into two entities
- China to allow US auditors access to records of Chinese firms
- Croatia looking to oil exploration in Adriatic Sea to revive economy
- Amazon ventures into fan fiction promotion
- China central bank report promises financial sector reforms
- Diversion of flight fails to save passenger from Ireland
- New frontiers new risks How safe is space tourism
- Cableway to lift tourism says alliance
- Total Revenue and Profit Growth for European Hoteliers During April 2013
- Middle East instability means tourism growth for Oman
- $2.6 mn necklace spirited away at Cannes Film Festival
- Women should look real raw Gisele Bundchen
- US mom gave birth to child after her heart stopped and then came back to life
- 100-year-old X-rays reveal how corset-clad Victorian women endured pain
- Inked women more approachable but have looser morals
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Nashville Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Nashville Music Scene 3 live shows for Saturday May 25
- Fire destroys home crews investigate
- Wreck closes Hwy 109 in Sumner Co.
- Tennessee Pharmacy Steroid Injections Recalled After Complications Arise
- Two injured in I-65 wreck